Job Title: Staff Auditor
Location: Central or South Florida Office
Travel Required: Travel between 10% - 20% annually
Level/Salary Range: Based upon experience
Position Type: Full time
Applications Accepted via Email at email@example.com
The Staff Auditor position is responsible for performing various procedures for financial and compliance audits and reviews. Responsibilities would include planning and execution of accounting as well as financial reporting audits.
- Obtains prior year working papers, reports, and other documents and materials that are necessary for field work.
- Reviews and determines effectiveness of controls, accuracy of financial records, and efficiency of operations for management.
- Ensures that "controls" and policies are "adequate," functional and in compliance with regulatory requirements.
- Conduct tests to determine compliance with applicable policies, procedures, and internal controls.
- Conducts interviews with client personnel and performs walk-throughs to assist in the evaluation of internal controls.
- Studies accounting and statistical records, and interviews individuals to ensure recording of transactions and compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
- Determines efficiency and protective value of accounting systems.
- Inspects items in books of original entry to determine if accepted accounting procedure was followed in recording transactions.
- Reviews records pertaining to material assets through physical count, inventory, and confirmation, and determines degree to which they are utilized.
- Counts cash on hand, inspects notes receivable and payable, negotiable securities, and cancelled checks.
- Verifies journal and ledger entries of cash and check payments, purchases, expenses, and trial balances by examining and authenticating inventory items.
- Prepares working trial balances for specific funds or account groups using financial statements, accounting records, etc.
- Analyzes data obtained for evidence of deficiencies in controls, duplication of effort, extravagance, fraud, or lack of compliance with laws, government regulations, and management policies or procedures.
- Review data regarding material assets, net worth, liabilities, capital stock, surplus, income, and expenditures.
- Conduct special studies for management, such as those required to discover mechanics of detected fraud and to develop controls for fraud prevention.
- Audit employer business records for governmental agency to determine unemployment insurance premiums, liabilities, and employer compliance with state tax laws.
- Identify accounting, as well as control issues, and make recommendations to the Senior Auditor.
- Ensure that all the document audit results are complete and accurate.
- Prepares reports of findings and recommendations for management.
- Writes narratives and conclusions based on the findings derived from the audit procedures
- Prepare working papers to support conclusions in accordance with audit standards.
- Organizes working papers to be used in writing the final audit or review report
- Prepare financial statements, and management letters in accordance with professional and Firm standards.
- Assists in preparing final drafts of audit and review reports.
- Communicate results verbally and in writing to client and management.
- Review business process controls, apart from other audit functions.
- A Bachelors degree in accounting, or a Bachelors degree in business with emphasis in accounting, is required.
- 1-3 years experience in an accounting or auditing environment (internships included), auditing information systems, or comparable experience in information technology.
- 1-3 years audit experience in the commercial, governmental, non-profit sectors or benefit plan audit experience a plus.
- Current Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Certified Internal Auditor (CIA), or Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA) license.
- Public accounting and financial institution experience a plus.
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of COSO, GAAP and IIA standards, and utilize these to assess the effectiveness of internal controls.
- Utilize data analytics tools and concepts to enhance the efficiency and effectiveness of audit procedures.
- Well rounded knowledge of accounting principles.
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Auditing Standards (GAAS), Government Auditing Standards (GAS Yellow Book), OMB Circulars, and Generally Accepted Governmental Accounting Standards (GAGAS).
- Competency in technical skills.
- Accuracy as well as work quality and application of professional and Firm standards.
- Must be highly skilled in use of Excel Spreadsheets, MS Word, and computer accounting software programs.
- Must have excellent work habits, including a willingness to work the hours necessary to get the job done, especially when important deadlines cause greater than normal departmental pressures.
- Auditing, SFAS Rules, Reporting Skills, Deadline-Oriented, Time Management, Attention to Detail, Confidentiality, PC Proficiency, Productivity, Verbal Communication, General Math Skills
- Good oral and written communication skills.