Job Title: Senior Accountant
Location: Central or South Florida Office
Level/Salary Range: Based upon experience
Travel Required: Travel between 5% - 10% annually
Position Type: Full time
Applications Accepted via Email at email@example.com
The senior accountant is responsible for applying accounting principles and procedures to analyze financial information, prepare accurate and timely financial reports and statements and ensure appropriate accounting control procedures.
- Prepare financial management reports and accompanying schedules, worksheets and narratives, including “Budget vs. Actual” variance reports. Assist in providing follow-up and documentation of significant variances.
- Assist with completion of the quarterly and annual regulatory filings; preparation of assigned Quarterly and Annual Statutory Statement pages/schedules.
- Assist with annual external audit and DOI examination. Complete requested materials. Assist in preparing assigned schedules for the annual and interim audit.
- Assist with testing and receive final approval for system reports required for management, financial reporting and general ledger reconciliations.
- Compile and analyze financial information to prepare financial statements including monthly and annual accounts.
- Ensure financial records are maintained in compliance with accepted policies and procedures.
- Ensure all financial reporting deadlines are met.
- Ensure accurate and timely monthly, quarterly and year end close.
- Establish and monitor the implementation and maintenance of accounting control procedures.
- Resolve accounting discrepancies and irregularities.
- Continuous management and support of budget and forecast activities.
- Monitor and support taxation issues.
- Develop and maintain financial data bases.
- Ensure accurate and appropriate recording and analysis of revenues and expenses.
- Analyze and advise on business operations including revenue and expenditure trends, financial commitments and future revenues.
- Analyze financial information to recommend or develop efficient use of resources and procedures, provide strategic recommendations and maintain solutions to business and financial problems
- Prepares asset, liability, and capital account entries by compiling and analyzing account information.
- Documents financial transactions by entering account information.
- Recommends financial actions by analyzing accounting options.
- Summarizes current financial status by collecting information; preparing balance sheet, profit and loss statement, and other reports.
- Guides accounting clerical staff by coordinating activities and answering questions.
- Reconciles financial discrepancies by collecting and analyzing account information.
- Secures financial information by completing data base backups.
- Maintains financial security by following internal controls.
- Answers accounting procedure questions by researching and interpreting accounting policy and regulations.
- Complies with federal, state, and local financial legal requirements by studying existing and new legislation, enforcing adherence to requirements, and advising management on needed actions.
- Prepares special financial reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing account information and trends.
- Maintains customer confidence and protects operations by keeping financial information confidential.
- Conform with and abide by all regulatory guidance and internal policies & procedures.
- Document policies, procedures and workflow for assigned areas of responsibility.
- Contribute to department and organization special projects as assigned.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
- A Bachelors degree in accounting is required.
A minimum of 3 years experience in the management of financial systems and budgets, financial reporting, financial data analysis, auditing, taxation and providing financial advice.
Four to six years progressively responsible experience in the accounting industry.
Thorough understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP). Knowledge of Statutory accounting principles.
knowledge of economic principles
knowledge of auditing practices and principles
knowledge of applicable laws, codes and regulations
Intermediate to advanced experience with MS Word, MS Excel, MS Outlook and EDP or similar programs.
Intermediate to advanced knowledge of major accounting software packages for both general ledger and statutory accounting.
Must be able to effectively handle multiple projects simultaneously in a deadline driven environment.
Excellent verbal, written communication and interpersonal skills.
Ability to work independently and as part of a team and take on new tasks with high level of difficulty.
Strong analytical and accounting skills.
Accounting, Corporate Finance, Reporting Skills, Attention to Detail, Deadline-Oriented, Reporting Research Results, SFAS Rules, Confidentiality, Time Management, Data Entry Management, General Math Skills.
Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
The individual will be expected to work with minimal up-front guidance and take ownership of his / her work product. The individual will work closely with all major functional leaders of the Firm.